You’ve seen it before, “create a catchy title or headline to your content and people will click on it.” But then you scan the rest of the article searching for how do you exactly create a catchy headline?
The Content Marketing Institute stated last month that in their research effective headlines have one or more of the following tactics:
- Have 8 words or fewer (21% higher click thru rate or CTR)
- Use questions to provoke thought
- Use lists with odd numbers rather than even numbers in the title (20% higher CTR)
- Use colons or hyphens indicating a subtitle (9% higher CTR)
- Use thumbnail pictures (27% higher CTR)
- Odd numbers appear more scientific and legitimate. That’s why Listerine kills 99% of germs instead of 100%
- The numeral draws the readers eye when scanning. People remember odd numbers more easily than even numbers.
- In marketing, the Law of Specificity states that people are more likely to believe information if it is specific rather than general.
- Odd numbers are more associated with males than females. It is thought that the masculine traits such as dominance and independence may have some impact on “accuracy” and other gender biases.
- Salon shoes – 30% off
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- 3 Ways You Can Help End Hunger
- Study: Domestic violence affects 1 out of 4
- How to Write Headlines that Work