How to Merge Multiple Facebook Pages

When I published the post last week on how to convert your personal profile to a fan page, I got asked if you could merge a personal with a fan page? The answer is no. You also cannot merge a group and a fan page. However, you can merge two pages together, IF one of them is a community or place page.

For example, sometimes you see companies have what looks like a Wikipedia page on Facebook. This is a community page or place page. Usually businesses set this up early on when they weren’t sure what to do with Facebook and now have two page accounts on Facebook. No need. You only need one presence. If you have a community page and a fan page, your best bet is to combine them to make it easier for prospects and customers who are doing a search for your business on Facebook. Remember, it’s all about making it easy for them to connect.

Here’s how you do it:

1. Click Edit Page on the page you want to KEEP.

2. Click on Resources (in left nav)

3. Click on Merge Duplicate Pages (you will ONLY see this if the other page has the EXACT same name and if you are the Page Owner of both pages)

4. When the pop-up box appears, check the box and then click the button to Merge pages. NOTE: There is no going back once you do this.

See the benefits of doing this below image.

Here’s what the steps look like:

The benefits of doing this are:

1. You’ll only have to worry about managing one page instead of two

2. You’ll instantly increase your number of fans on your fan page.

3. It will be seamless to the fans of the other page and you’ll appear in their news feed like you have been. For tips on how to make sure you appear in their news feed, see this previous post.

NOTE: (6/19/12) – If you do not see the merge option, then try clicking on the wheel icon next to the “Like” button of your page that you don’t want to keep and report the page as a duplicate.

About Tracy Sestili

Tracy Sestili is CEO and Chief blogger at Social Strand Media. She is also the author of Taking Your Brand from the Bench to the Playing Field -- Social Media Fundamentals for Business.

Comments

1. Hi, really interesting, but when you write “you will ONLY see this if the other page has the EXACT same name” do you mean “name” or “username”?
    I work with artists and some of them got “community pages” created by Facebook, based on/populated by Wikipedia based content, when it launched OpenGraph some time ago (2010?). These pages aggregate posts made by FBers, through a search on the artist’s “name” itself.
    The problem is they create a conflict with official artists’ pages (get the “also at” section or music played…) IF the artists chose a different username than their “official” name…
    When these pages were launched one could request to gain access to these pages’ administration, but FB never got back, explaining how to… You can’t report these pages as “duplicate” as you can’t type what you want in the box. Didn’t find any other way to get in touch with FB support about this problem…

Wrote a blog post serie (in French but easy to translate…) on Music, artists, FB and OpenGraph, where other specific problems appear… http://www.cybear.eu/facebook-musique-open-graph-protocol-artists-pages/

Sincerely
    DJM

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi DJM – it’s the name of the page, so if the community page is called The Slants and the fan page is called Slants – they cannot be combined. But if that fan page were called The Slants then it could be combined. Does that answer your question? If there is any type of copyright infringement for the artist (i.e. confusion of their name/impostor) you can report it to Facebook directly. Each type of violation has a separate URL. Mari Smith has a list of Facebook Help URLs on her site here: http://www.marismith.com/how-contact-facebook-directory-of-forms/ Hope that helps.

• Hi!
        i merged 5 page.
        and now, i can’t merge page, when i click merge, facebook said
        “Error
        i wait 3 days, but facebook still block me
        why?
        how long i must wait for facebook unblock merge?
        thanks!

• Tracy Sestili says:

I’m not sure what the time limit is, if there is one at all. But we did know that there was an arbitrary limit. Looks like that limit is 5. There is a possibility that FB may have a ceiling on how many pages you can actually merge (total) and you may have reached it. There is nothing documented in their FAQ about this, but several others on this blog have left comments that they’ve been blocked from merging after merging several pages. Thank you for confirming that the number is 5.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi, just found out that the max you can merge is 5 pages. Facebook has a new help link https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=160167234097982.
          Thanks.

why this link is not working??? content not found. plz help me where from i can get this form of merging.

• Hi There, I was checking the comments here. Because i am also facing the same error. But just wanted to tell you that limit isn’t 5. I have merged more than 10 pages already. Don’t remember the number exactly. But that was more than 10 for sure.

If anyone found solution. Please reply here. I am waiting for your replies.

Thanks & Regards,
            Imran

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Imran, the limit is 5 per property. Of course, I’ve merged dozens but only 5 per entity. Thank you for reminding me to clarify.

• Arslan Ali says:

I have two pages that I want to merge – a place page and a regular page. The two pages have the same name, but when I go to the resources page, it is not giving me the option to merge them. I am an administrator for both pages and they both have the same address listed. Can you think of any reason Facebook isn’t letting me merge them?

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Arslan – without the URLs – hard to say. Do you want to paste them in here and let us take a look?

2. Hi,

I stumbled on this page when a Google Alert triggered an automatic search for “The Slants.” (Hi Tracy).
    I’ve run into the same situation myself, you can’t help what Facebook automatically creates and their response in duplicated pages is slow at best (especially if the information is aggregated from another source).

What I’d recommend you do in these instances is to work with the original source. For example, if it is a Wikipedia page, you can edit it and have it link to your official Facebook page. However, beyond that, there isn’t much you can do other than to delete the current page and reregister with the username that you’d like (if it is available). Many artists try and work around this by doing something like “artistname_official” or “artistnameband” if their name is already taken

• Tracy Sestili says:

Thanks Simon. That’s great advice.

• Thx Simon,
      Great idea to modify the Wikipedia page. I’ll do that.

Thx Tracy, I understoof it this way, but wanted to be sure… Because the “Wikipedia” page FB created has the same name too, and no way to get rid of it, or claim it back… no way to report it either…

What I did:
      I decided to create a new “official” page for the artist with his full name (this time) and “Official” appended (I usually do this for others, but he wanted something else the 1st time…) as username.
      So far, the “merge pages” appeared on the page I don’t want to keep… I’ll wait a bit to see if it appears on the new one…
      As the music tab in “admin page” was there, I could request to have music appear on the page, by defining it as the Official Page… Hope this will help, too…
      Wait and see…
      Will keep you informed.
      Sincerely
      DJM

• BTW, Deleting the page means losing all the fans and content posted since 2009…
        Will hope there’s a better way than start it all over again… ;-)

• Tracy Sestili says:

Deleting any page will lose all content and fans, however, when you merge pages, it actually carries over the fans to the new page. I just did it last week for a client and it worked beautifully. In regard to not seeing the merge page, that’s surprising – it should show up right away. So something must be different. Can you copy and paste the links to the pages you want to merge or email me at tracy@socialstrand.com with them, I’d be happy to take a look. Cheers.

3. I’m in the same position as many of you..

We have many fake pages I can’t seem to kill

For instance…

Are all fake, all created by god knows who.

I’ve begged Facebook for almost a year, and NOTHING has been done.

This is our official page –

I want all of those rolled into that and the old listings removed, and have received no help whatsoever. I’ve reported, I’ve messaged, and now we are losing valuable contact with our customers at check ins and those who like us.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Charles, Facebook will respond to trademark infringement or violation of intellectual property. Have you tried this:
      “If someone has created an account to impersonate or imitate you, please go to the impostor profile (timeline) and click “Report this Person” in the left column. Check the “Report this Person” box, choose “Fake Account” as the reason, and add “Impersonating me or someone else” as the report type. Be sure to add a valid web address (URL) leading to the real profile (timeline), so we can review the information.”

Or tried reporting an IP infringement? https://www.facebook.com/help/contact_us.php?id=208282075858952

• Yes, I’ve tried that. My new goal is to mark those with the old business name as closed. I’m crowdsourcing with like minded individuals at Google+ to report pages and issues we need fixed en masse.

Our only hope at this point that if one page has 300 complaints, Facebook might respond. This is incredibly frustrating as a small business to see 45 or 50 likes go to a page you have no control over that doesn’t allow your company to get your message out and connect with your fans and the people that seeked you out to ‘like’ you.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Charles, I think you can’t merge them because you are not the admin of them. You must be the admin of both in order to merge pages. I’m happy to help, where would you like me to report my complaint?

• I just need those reported as duplicates of the correct page. It appears people created those pages with check in’s and the like, and since I’m not in charge of those pages I can’t get them to go away.

I need them to be merged but Facebook thinks they must be different businesses, which is odd because this is in a town of 400 people. There are only two businesses, and the other restaurant has a profile that is a person, and not even a proper business page.

Hi Charles,
          It seems that the first link of the incorrect bar you listed no longer exists. The second link I reported as a duplicate of the correct page. The third link it asked me if I know the owner and I input your email address that you used to enter your comment on this blog and it said it would send you an email to claim the page. I hope that helps. Let me know if they do. That would at least get rid of 2 out of 3. Cheers.

• Thank you for your help. I took some time to get them to merge and I had to claim copyright infringement (a stretch) but it got them killed off.

Thank you for your help!

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Charles, I’m so happy to hear that you had success!! Thanks for sharing and closing the loop with us.

4. This could be a huge help for us. Our company still has a lingering ‘personal’ profile from years ago with about 1,500 friends. We created a proper page several months ago that now has about 500 fans on it — obviously not all of our friends liked our new page. We’ve left the profile abandoned and focused our efforts on the new Page.

However, would it be possible to:

1. Convert our old profile into a page;
    2. Then merge that page with our current page?

I know that it would merge the smaller page into the larger one, but would this method leave me with no content? I’m trying to weigh jumping from 500 to 2,000 fans against losing several months’ worth of photos and posts. Any suggestions?

5. Hi, I have recently merged our company’s PLACE page with our main PAGE, it worked fine. The only problem is that now it considers our main page to be a “place” page. This is causing a problem with the searches because we no longer have a plain “page” and I don’t see any way to change the designation from a “place” page to a regular “page”. I checked Walmart and Nike and both of their Main pages with the most likes are considered just “pages”, not “place pages” and they have the check ins and all that on their main page. They do have separate place pages also, which are in the “place” category. Our main page is in the place category and we have no pages in the “page” category. Its a semantic thing but it means we dont appear when someone searches for a “page”. Can anyone help with this? Walmart has it figured it out.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Zmo – it’s under Basic Information. If you have the new Timeline – click on where it says Place (above About but below the profile photo), then on About, click Edit. You’ll be brought to the admin page and on the left you should be on Basic information. The option is the top one (Category). Hope that helps. ~ Tracy

• Hi Tracy – I merged our Place page with our main page and created this page.. http://www.facebook.com/iolapinc. There are also 2 community pages (http://www.facebook.com/pages/iOLAP/115909758470048?ref=ts and http://www.facebook.com/pages/iOLAP-Inc/124486214337474?ref=ts) that I cannot get rid of or merge with my place/page. My page does not show up under searches because they don’t display places there, only pages. I’ve converted to timeline and done what you suggested to Zmo. I have already changed the category to company and this hasn’t done anything for the search results.
        Can you help me make my place a page, and how do I eliminate the comm page? My Marketing consultants don’t know what to do at this point and I have searched everywhere on Facebook, reported duplicated pages and tried to report two bugs.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi – So the one community page will not merge because it’s not called iOLAP, Inc. it’s just called iOLAP. The other page should merge if you own them both because it seems to have the same name. Unfortunately, you should have merged the main page with the place page and not the other way around. As a result you kept the Place page instead of the fan (company) page and that’s why you are stuck now. With only 23 likes, I would just start over at this point. Because there is no way to go back and no way to change your place page to a company page. You can try contacting Facebook….but I honestly think it would be better to start over with so few likes at this point. Sorry. I know that’s not what you wanted to hear.

6. I have about 7 other pages. among 7, 4 pages consist of same name. I want to authenticate all pages. HOW CAN I AUTHENTICATE THE PAGE… The JOLT FORM is not working. Pls show me any other & easy way… Plus I want to Merge that 4 same name pages, but in Resources the Option of Merge Duplicate Pages dont come… Why ???

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Shruti – hard for me to say without knowing the pages. They have to have the exact name otherwise the merge duplicate pages option won’t display. you have to be the owner of all of the pages too. If you’re not the owner of all of the two (or more) pages you want to merge, it won’t let you. Hope that helps.

7. that was helpful.

8. Hi, i have a problem. I had 3 personal profiles which i migrated to fanpage. When i did the migration, i wanted to put them the same name in order to merge them to an only fanpage. But it didn’t let me do it. I had to named them the same it where named.
    So now i have 3 fanpages:
    VIA UNO Italia https://www.facebook.com/viaunoitalia
    VIA UNO España https://www.facebook.com/viaunomadrid
    VIA UNO Portugal https://www.facebook.com/viaunoportugal
    I want to merge them to this fanpage VIA UNO, Europe https://www.facebook.com/viaunoeurope
    But i can’t. Please help me. I own all of them. As i could not named them the same when i did the migration, now i cannot merge them. Please do you have a solution??
    Thanks a lot

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Mariela, if you change the name of the page to be the same (not the username) but literally the name of the page, you should get the option to merge. For example:
      Instead of being VIA UNO Italia with the username of fb.com/viaunoitalia, change it to VIA UNO and then do the same for VIA UNO España and change to VIA UNO and see if you get the option to merge. Let me know what happens.

9. Hi Tracy,
    Thanks for the tips. I have a personal page and a fan page that I want to merge. If I convert the personal page to a fan page, can I then merge the existing fan page with the new fan page?

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Kay, I haven’t tried it yet, but in theory, as long as they are named the same, according to Facebook, it should work. For example, when you convert your personal page to your fan page, make sure it has the same title as your fan page. If your fan page is called Kay Doe. Then when you convert your personal page to fan page make sure that the name is Kay Doe, then you should get the merge option then. Let me know how you make out.

10. Kelly Creighton says:

Hi Tracy,

I need to merge two pages- one has been up and runnning for some time, the other needed to be created to claim the URL. I just created the second page about an hour ago and don’t yet see the “Merge duplicate pages” option. Both pages are local businesses with the same exact name. Do you know if there is a time lapse before the “Merge duplicate pages” option becomes available?

11. I have 2 pages that I want to merge but the names are not similar enough so it doesn’t give me the option to merge them. It wont let me change the name because they both have over 100 likes. Any advice?

12. Christine says:

13. Hi Tracy,

I wonder if you could solve this mystery for me. I have two Facebook pages for one local business client.

This one was originally a personal profile that someone setup, probably before FB pages: https://www.facebook.com/roco.dance

They also have a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roco-Dance-Fitness/203683530114

We realized that we couldn’t keep going w/ some people “friending” us and some people “liking” us. I assumed that I would have to delete one of the accounts. First, I converted the personal profile into a page, since it had more friends than we had fans.

I was all set to delete the first official page, when I saw the “merge pages” option in the admin settings.

Here’s the crazy part: I clicked on that link just to see the option but then clicked “cancel”, b/c I wanted to learn more about merging pages before I went ahead with it. When I went back to do it again, it was GONE.

So, I’ve found a bunch of articles about merging duplicate pages, but none about what to do if the merge option suddenly disappears.

I realize that the pages have slightly different names, but that was the case when I originally saw the ‘merge’ option.

I really don’t want to delete a page with over 600 fans now that I know there is a merge option, but I can’t access it. If you could help in any way, I would appreciate it sooo much!

Thank you!

Hi Melissa,
      It’s possible that either a) you need to clear your cache, or b) the names of these two pages HAS TO BE the same. So if the name is Roco Dance & Fitness then make sure both of them say that. THe name is different than the Username. See my other related post on clarifying this. http://socialstrand.com/2012/03/29/merging-multiple-facebook-pages-clarified-username-vs-name/

good luck! Let me know how you make out.

Best
      Tracy

• Thanks for the quick reply, Tracy!

I cleared my cache, which didn’t seem to help. BUT, I realized that I was logged in as an admin from my personal account – which isn’t the original admin account. On a whim, I decide to log out and log back in using the company’s admin account. Lo and behold, the “merge pages” option appeared again!

SO happy! :)

It didn’t seem to matter that the names were slightly different, interestingly enough.

Anyway, I’m all merged now! So grateful not to have to worry about two different pages. If anyone else mentions not being able to see the ‘merge pages’ option, this could be the answer – make sure you’re logged in with the main admin account!

• Tracy Sestili says:

So glad to hear that Melissa! yay! Thanks for coming back and posted your success!

14. Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows when the pages are merged do you need to select a new username for this page or does it carry the username over? For instance..www.facebook.com/bobvsted will merge against http://www.facebook.com/bobsvsteds will the first one override the second username?

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hey Scott, when you merge it asks you to log into the page you want to keep. When you click on the merge option from that page, all other pages that you merge with that page will be lost. So, for example, page A you want to keep, but you want to merge with page B. you log into A,select the merge option and merge it with page B. Page A is what is kept – including the username. Make sense? Thx, Tracy

15. Hi!
    I have one page http://www.facebook.com/cinemantrix and a place page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cinemantrix/329411830464239 that I’m trying to merge. The names are the same and I get the link Merge duplicate pages. And I can click on it and confirm that I want to merge the place page into the page. But then nothing happens. I don’t get a confirmation that two pages have been merged. I’ve also waited a few days to see if they would eventually be merge. But nothing happens. Is this a bug?

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Hans, since only 1 person likes the place page I would just delete that. I don’t think it’s a bug, and I don’t know of any bugs, but there may be limitations and maybe it needs to have 25 likes first. Regardless, with 1 like, I would delete it. Hope that helps.

16. i’d like to convert my profile into page but when i have to chose the name of the page, FB does not accept it because it says it’s not similar to the profile name.. but it is the same but just with caps lock.. i’d like to merge that page with my official one ,so i need the exactly same name..

in example my profile name is Hidden Ninja .. i’d like to name my page just HIDDEN cause my official page is HIDDEN .. so i can merge them..

any suggestion please?

17. Hi, we have an official FB page named RØDE Microphones. There is a community page full of Wikipedia content which we haven’t claimed (can’t figure out how) called Røde Microphones. If I rename the official page to be the same as the community page, will I be able to merge the two, keeping the official one? Then one last step of renaming back to RØDE Microphones? Thanks for any insight you can lend Tracy!

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Ming, can you please supply the URLs? There are about a dozen Rode microphones pages in FB. Thanks.

18. I had a facebook PAGE called “Healing Pathways QLD” with the domain http://www.facebook.com/healingpathways (around 20 fans) We then created a PLACE called “Healing Pathways QLD” and then merged them but unfortunately we lost the Healing Pathways “Page” and all the content (statuses etc). We now only have the Place but we cant search for it on facebook, and you can’t perform check ins – the url is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Healing-Pathways-QLD/264045000369445

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Vivek, when you merged the pages, it told you that you would lose all of the posts, photos, etc from the page you were choosing to technically delete. What you should have done is chosen the other page to keep. Then changed it to a Place page since you only had 20 or so likes. However, that still doesn’t answer the question on why you can’t Check-In on your mobile device. The FB page shows check-ins at 0 so it seems that it will allow people to check-in, however, I’m not in Australia so unfortunately I can’t help you troubleshoot that.

19. Tracy, you seem to really know what you’re doing with Facebook. I hope you can help me. I have a somewhat similar situation to Melissa and the Roco Dance pages…. only here’s the difference.

My client has her original personal Facebook Page here: http://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland.7 She has 109 friends here.

She then created a separate personal site here: http://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland
    to which she also created the Bloxsun Page for her business. She has 44 likes there. http://www.facebook.com/bloxsun

On Friday I went back to her original personal page and added the Bloxsun Page, updating the posts with the other business Page content, as I wanted to make sure that nothing is lost in the Merge. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bloxsun-SG-Operations-LLC/132040136933060

Now, I’m worried that if I merge the two accounts, she may lose her 109 friends from her original personal page. How can I do a merge without losing her friends and making sure everything gets merged seamlessly?

Many thanks for your help. I’m at a standstill till I know which way to go.

Hi Jo Ann,
      I am not sure what you mean when you say that on Friday you added the Bloxsun page to her personal account. However, here is what you do: convert the personal page to a fan page first. Her friends will become fans automatically. Make sure you name it the same as the current page you want to merge. Make sure you are a Page manager for all pages you want merged. Then, pick the page you want to keep and you should see the merge option there. Hope that helps.

• Thanks Tracy,
        Questions still:
        If I convert her personal page that has the 109 friends to a Fan page, those friends become fans/Likes. So this will eliminate that personal page, which she wants to keep separate with her friends? Then the original Bloxsun page she built cannot be merged with her personal page so that she has 44 Likes and 109 Friends?

The personal page to her original page can go be deleted from the original Bloxsun account http://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland, so can the new business page I just built that is attached to her original personal page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bloxsun-SG-Operations-LLC/132040136933060.

I know this is confusing. But the only two URLs I want to have remain in tack are these:
        http://www.facebook.com/bloxsun and https://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland.7

I hope this makes sense. Thank you so much for your advise.
        Jo Ann

Jo Ann –

This fan page https://www.facebook.com/bloxsun – has 44 likes. You want to keep this.
          This is a personal profile – https://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland.7 – and you want to keep this too.

This personal profile has 7 friends – https://www.facebook.com/inslee.copeland – just delete it. (there is another blog post on Social Strand about deleting an account). Who cares about 7 friends – not worth the time. If you want, send them a message directing them to one of the pages above and let them know that this account is being closed.

This page has 3 likes – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bloxsun-SG-Operations-LLC/132040136933060 – again – you can merge, but check to see if the 3 people are already fans of the page that has 44 likes. If they are – merging them won’t really help. I would just delete this page, honestly.

I assume that the personal profile above inslee.copeland.7 has the 109 friends? If that is the case, why are you going to all of the trouble to merge or convert these pages when they have 7 friends or 3 likes. Just send them all a message, direct them to the appropriate pages and delete these accounts. Honestly, it’s not worth the trouble. You can download the personal account information for any photos and what not.

You cannot merge two personal accounts – only pages. You can convert the profile with 7 friends to a fan page and then merge it with the page that has 44 likes but it’s a lot of work for 7 likes. Sending a message would be much easier and faster.

Best, Tracy

I tried to find your delete thread on your Social Strand, as I agree with you about deleting the profile with 7 friends and the page with 3 likes. Only, when I look at the Facebook delete instructions, it appears that it wants to delete the profile AND Page.

Anyway, I converted the Profile page to the Fan page called Bloxsun SG http://www.facebook.com/BloxsunSG and now I lost the 7 friends, though I did send them a message asking them to join the Fan page.

How do I merge this one, or should I just delete it? It’s useless now.

What I want to do is merge the two accounts with different logins for these two pages. How do I do that? Or is it necessary?

Now I just deleted the Bloxsun SG that I thought I had converted from
            Why is it still there?

Sorry to be so challenged by this, but I can’t find anywhere but your threads that can explain the proper how-to.

Thanks Tracy.
            Jo Ann

Hi Jo Ann,
            The page you deleted is still there b/c it will be there for 14 days. Rather than merge those accounts, make one of your logins an admin for that page. Then delete the account if you want. Best, tracy

20. Hi Tracey

I have two pages with the same name that I am admin of.. one is a places page and one is a business page. I am trying to merge but when I go to resources, the merge option isn’t there.

The places page is http://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Salt/167854833225877 and I want to merge it into http://www.facebook.com/whitesalt.

Can you help???? :)

Thank you!
    Angie

21. Tracy,
    RE: Bloxsun

Converting the Page with 7 friends did not delete the profile. How can I the profile without deleting the Page with 44 likes? It seems that the delete process will delete both of them.

And, if I delete the Page I created Friday, will that leave her personal profile in tact with 109 friends?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inslee-Copeland/105266992949259 I want to delete, but not lose https://www.facebook.com/bloxsun

This is the end of my questions. Many thanks.
    Jo Ann

Jo Ann -
      Deleting the page will NOT delete the personal profile. BUT – deleting the personal profile will make you lose access to the page if that personal profile is the only profile associated with that page.

• Thank you very much Tracy. I think that settles it.

You’ve been most kind with your time.
        Jo Ann

• I’ve just promoted you on my Facebook, Twitter and Linked In accounts. You deserve the exposure, and I’m building more on those sites every day. A bit behind, but making it happen.

Many thanks~ Jo Ann

• Tracy Sestili says:

Oh Jo Ann – thank you! That is so kind of you. Let’s be sure to connect on LinkedIn and Twitter. @tracysestili and LinkedIn.com/in/tracysestili – glad it all worked out! Best, Tracy

22. Hi Tracey

I have two pages with the same name that I am admin of.. one was a personal profile which I have converted to a fan page about an hour ago. I am now trying to merge the two fan pages but when I go to resources, the merge option isn’t there.

The converted page is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WizeOwl/408661362519629
    The official page is: https://www.facebook.com/wizeowlapp

Can you help????

Thank you!
    Inge

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Inge, sometimes when you convert a personal profile to a page it needs time to propagate. Give it until tomorrow and see if it’s there. If still doesn’t appear after 24 hours then use the wheel icon next to the Like button on the page you DON’T want to keep and report it as a duplicate of the page you DO want to keep. Hope that helps. Let me know how you make out. Best, Tracy (no e)

• Thanks Tracy (no e), I guess I needed to have a bit of patience – it did show up now, after a few hours :) – Thanks for your fast and excellent reply

• The only problem was that the personal turned into fan page page had the more likers than the original fan page which meant that with the merge only the fans have migrated… nothing else… noting of the content. On top of that also lost the 2 original usernames as could not keep them and now have to choose a new username – so please be careful and think before you merge… as it is not always worth it….

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Inge – you should have been able to keep the username of the Page you kept. It should also have moved any of the “likes” from one page to the other. So you should see at least a little incremental pop on the page you kept. If the page you merged (did not keep) had 50 likes, and the page you kept had 10 likes, after the merge it may not show 60 likes now but it should show more than 10 likes and a max of 50 likes (assuming the 10 likes were already fans of the page you were merging). hope that makes sense.

• Hi Tracy, it seemed that the merge of fans went through ok but lost the 2 user names and all content. The personal page had the MOST likes, when turned into a fan page – it lost all content and had to pick a new user name for this one…. Afterwards I was only able merge to the page with the most likes, which meant I lost the other username and content as well. Boohoo…
        See Facebook comments below”
        “Please note you can only merge the Page with fewer likes into the one with more likes. Merging Pages combines all your likes and check-ins, but all other content from the Page with fewer likes, such as wall posts and photos, will be permanently deleted. The Page with fewer likes will be removed from Facebook and you will not be able to unmerge it.”
        This might work different from a merge with pages and places….

• Tracy Sestili says:

Oh, I didn’t know you were keeping the one with less likes. I am sure you had a good reason for that. I just assumed you were keeping the one with more as that is what most people do. Still don’t understand the loss of the name though, that should have kept. But thanks for the feedback – this is all good stuff and hopefully others will learn from it. Best,Tracy

• Yes very unfortunate, but a great learning experience for next time. I have another client who wants a page merge as she has reached her limit of friends on her personal page. But as she has less likes on her fan page, I will have to advise her against the merge as the same will happen to her; likes will transfer but lose username and all content. At this stage I think we will need to wait till the fan page has more likers then her personal page and then we can safely merge….

Do you know by any chance if there is a way of contacting Facebook to see if we can revert back or claim the old username?

Hi Inge,
            I don’t know why you couldn’t convert your clients page and them merge and just keep the page with more likes. I did this for a political candidate who had 3500 “friends” and 55 likes in their page. I converted the personal page to a fan page. Then when I chose to merge I picked the new fan page with 3500 now “fans” and merged the 55 fans from the old page into the new page and it worked like a charm. I did this in April of this year. So, I know you pasted that message from FB but they must have recently changed something because I’ve done that same thing at least a half dozen times already.

And to answer your question – no, you cannot revert back nor can you reclaim the name. Sorry.

23. when i tried to do this its giving me this >An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages.

before this i did merging 3/4 times, now i hv one 5.5k duplicate page, i wanna to merge it on 82k page, what should i do???? plz help me

its shows me option merge duplicate page bt wgen i try it shows >An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages.

• Tracy Sestili says:

This is a first. I haven’t seen this before. Why don’t you give it 48 hours to see if it refreshes and lets you do it. If not, you can always use the wheel icon and contact FB by reporting one page as a duplicate of another. Good luck and thanks for sharing your experience. Best, Tracy

24. Hi Tracey,
    Our company has several profiles, all started for different reasons and a Like Business Page. We are trying to convert the profile pages to fan pages and merge them all together on the one My Fit Fridge Fan Page. Yesterday we successfully converted MyFit Fridge GC to a fan page (friends and subscribers became fans) and now we would like to merge this with our. I cannot seem to find the instructions to do this. Can you please help us, so that we can streamline our social media presence.

Regards
    Shannan

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Shannan, the merge option is located in the Admin>Resources section. It should be one of the first two options. There is a screen shot above in this blog post that shows a picture of it. Good luck.

• Hi Tracy, thankyou for your reply. The merge duplicate pages option isn’t showing up on my screen. Instead I found this link https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=160167234097982 where I can request a page merge. However, when I enter the URL of the page I’d like to merge it with it says ‘The Page is not authentic’ – I have copied and pasted the URL into the entry field to make sure there are no typos and it’s still not recognising it. Any advice on how I could get this sorted out? There doesn’t seem to be anywhere you can contact facebook about a technical problem…

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Shannan, if you don’t have the merge option on either page then the only thing I can suggest is to report one page as a duplicate of another via the wheel icon (next to the Like/Message) button on the front of your page. Good luck!

25. Hello Tracy,
    You’ve been quite helpful with the duplicate pages /merge issues.
    Wondering if you have come across this scenario before – I didn’t see it in the thread above.
    Client had a Place page with an address. Since they are just a department within a larger organization and we didn’t want to usurp the address for just one department, we removed the address to convert it back to a Page. The page is now a Page. However, there is a message saying ” One or more Pages with a similar name to yours already uses this address.
    Claim duplicate Pages that belong to you and manage your Facebook presence from one place” and it references the Page’s URL, which they already have!
    The button below the message is a big Claim button and shows their Facebook URL as it stands now – the same one. Should we claim it? We checked and there are no other duplicate pages, just one community page generated by FB for the corporate parent that should not be merged as with this department page. Thank you in advance for your help, Jenn.

Hi Jenn,
      At first glance I am thinking you should merge them but not sure I fully understand why the department has the same name as the parent company. Can you reply with the page links to both or send me an email through the Contact form? Thanks.

• Thanks Tracy!
        I’ll send an email via the contact form — I appreciate your confidentiality!

26. Svetlana says:

Hello Tracy,
    Thank you very much for such a comprehensive roundup on merging FB pages.

I also have a problem with it and I would be very grateful if you could help me out or at least point out the direction in which to go.

I placed a FB like button on my open graph website at http://www.iloveip.ru/ and created a FB page at https://www.facebook.com/iloveip.ru at the same time. Facebook suggested that I should merge those duplicate pages, which I did, keeping the original FB page and deleting an open graph page.

When the website started to get likes, I saw that they didn’t sync with my FB page and realized that FB treats them differently. Now I have the website with likes and I can not post to people who have liked it and a have a FB page.

I know I can put an url to my FB page in href parameter of the FB like button, but I don’t know what will happen to the likes I already have in this case. Do you have any idea? I was also thinking of deleting a FB page, since it has only one fan, which is me, and try to do everything from scratch. But I am not sure that my open graph page will be back if I delete a FB page, which it has already been merged with.

Is there any way to link my website with the FB page keeping the likes I already have on the website? Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
    Svetlana

Hi Svetlana,
      What you did was put a Like button rather than a Like Box on your website. You should have put a Like Box (you don’t have to include the stream or logo. It can look just like the button, but instead will increment your Fan page when they click like). Right now, it shows in their news feed but it doesn’t do anything for your fan page #s or allow you to communicate with them. And unfortunately there is no way to transfer those likes from the website to the fan page. Sorry. :(

27. hi
    I have two fan pages with the same names on Facebook . One of them has 24000 likes and the other one got 12000 likes. I would like to merge these two pages together but we encounter a problem during the process and we get this error “An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages.”
    In the past we have merged each of these pages with some other pages, and at the moment we are not able to merge these two fan pages together anymore because the merge option has been disabled. I would be so grateful if you direct us and guide us on how to merge these two pages .I also would like to know if there is any other way for merging pages apart from merging duplication.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Unfortunately Amir, Facebook has a limitation on how many pages you can merge. The best bet you can do is report the page as a duplicate and hope it gets removed. See other comments for the steps on how to do that if you are not sure. Best,Tracy

28. Jessica says:

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to merge a band page (which I am an admin) and a wikipedia band page (by the exact same name, but I am not an admin on). I tried to report the wiki page as a duplicate, but it tells me to ‘enter the name of the original page to submit this report’ and I have tried the page name and the page link to no avail. Here are the two pages…any ideas???
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Sollee/113394612007626?ref=ts (wiki page)

THANKS!!
    Jessica

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Jessica, you can report it as a duplicate by copy and pasting the URL into the box when it asks you for a duplicate. (If you type the name in it won’t work b/c it will pull up the current page you want to keep). I just did this and it worked. If enough people do it, FB will make the change. Good luck!

29. Liz Bht says:

Hiya I am having trouble merging two pages.

There is one that was set up a while ago: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BHT-Sussex/176966969047118
    And a newer one that I want to keep: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BHT-Sussex/158639657522755

I am the admin for both, and they both have the same name and settings. For a long time the ‘merge pages’ option did not appear. But then it suddenly appeared on the page that I dont want to keep, which actually has LESS likes. Any idea why it appeared there?

Thanks,
    Liz

Hi Liz,
      It typically will appear on the page that has less likes. That’s the default. But if you are merging, then the likes won’t matter because they will come over. The issue is that the photos and posts from the other page (with more likes) won’t come over. Unfortunately, there is no way around this. The only other option you have is to report the page with less likes as a duplicate with the other and see if FB responds and merges it for you. Sorry I didn’t have better news.

• Don’t worry I worked it out!

It was to do with who I was “using facebook as”. When I was using facebook as a page (the official or the duplicate), the merge option did not exist. However if I was using facebook as myself, but navigated to a page , then the ‘merge pages’ option existed under resources (weirdly on both of them).

So a problem halved is a problem solved so to speak!

Thanks,
        Liz

• Tracy Sestili says:

Awesome Liz. Thanks for coming back and updating everyone. I think everyone can learn from one another. Have a great weekend!

30. Tommy O says:

I have two fan pages that I will be merging later on.But what if I have a page of 5900 likes and another of 3000 likes? If I merge them and happen to have a majority of people liking both pages,do i run the risk of losing the higher number of 5900 likes?I was thinking that if I merged the large one into the smaller one,this for sure would happen,but would it affect the number of my bigger one as well if I put the smaller on into the bigger one?I was thinking no,but could be wrong.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Tommy, you don’t lose likes. If someone is already a fan of one page but not the other, then they’ll become a fan of the new page when the other page is deleted after you merge. But if they are already a fan of both pages then from their perspective only one page will disappear after merging but the other will still be there and it will look like business as usual to them. So the increase will be incremental depending on which page is kept. Chances are that some of the 3000 fans are already fans of the page with 5900 fans.

• cabbieuk says:

hi..just seen this and the question i had was asked but not answered:( i got 2 fan pages 1 new converted private page that has 5700 likes and a original fan page that has 3000.. i dont have the same name on them and i cant change there names ..can i still merge them..i dont care what 1 stays as long as they combine,,,

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi DJ, no – you cannot merge them if the names are not the same. The name (not the URL name) needs to be the same on both. Otherwise you can try Reporting the page to Facebook as a duplicate by clicking on the wheel icon to the right of the Like button and then copying and pasting the URL in of the page you want to keep. Good luck.

• What to do about this error ????

31. hi,
    how many times a page can merge???

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Jithin, I am not sure what the limit is but someone earlier posted that they had merged 3 pages and were stopped after that. So not sure exactly.

32. When i tried to merge a page, “An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages” is shown…what it means??

33. Why can’t, or how can I, merge 3 pages I admin on facebook with different names?
    We started Tiki Island a while ago. (then named our business Tiki Island)
    Wrote a book (Under Tiki Island Publishing) and opened a separate page for that book.
    NOW we have a second book.. also Under Tiki Island Publishing.. and yet a different page for THAT book.
    Now, as prompted by our fans. We’d like to put ALL under Tiki Island (IE home of two great books)
    they all represent the SAME things. Is there a way? I saw a post once, where I had to APPLY and get permission from FB to do this, but I cannot find it.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Kim, the rules are that the names have to be the same. However, for some larger companies FB allows a Parent-Child page relationship. This article covers this indepth http://www.insidefacebook.com/2011/07/11/parent-child-corporate-local-locations-pages-places/. But if that doesn’t work, you’d have to merge 2 of the pages and then merge those 2 pages (assuming you have less than 200 Likes and can change the names). Otherwise, you can report the pages as a duplicate by clicking on the wheel icon to the right of the Like button (report page>duplicate>copy and paste the URL of the page you want to keep). That’s the best I got for you. Hope that helps and good luck.

34. Grettel says:

so, there are 2 pages that I admin and want to merge, they have the exact same names and the option to merge is not there?? what to do??

• Tracy Sestili says:

Make sure you when you are logged in that thy Voice is you, not the page. If that’s still not the case then update the comments with the links to the pages.

35. Hi,

I need to take over the old facebook page but I don’t have the username and password. So I’ve created a new page with exact name but different username and password. Can both pages be merge into the new page?

I can’t see the ‘Merge’ button on my admin panel.

Hopefully u can help me. Thanks.

36. An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages. Plzz tell me what to do with this error ….

37. plz help me to merge to pages of my website … What to do about this ???? http://www.cheers4all.com they says that error occurred while merging it

38. I have a question, Tracy! Do you know if we can submit requests to Facebook for pages that we’ve lost the admin for? As in – we have NO idea who created the page, but we want to either claim it, or start a new one!

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hmm, unfortunately, you’re out of luck. This happened to one of my clients once and I suggested that they send out an email to the entire company, but they still had no luck. Which led me to believe it was an employee who no longer worked there. Unfortunately, your best bet is to create another page and then try to claim the other page to merge it or report it as a duplicate. (probably the latter). Good luck!

39. Hi, friends i have a two pages, main page with 17k ikes and duplicate page with 26k likes…wat can i do…i converted my account and create new account….by converting my account i got 26k likes on my duplicate page. but its not showing in resource option for merging. wats the problem. Is der any wat to merge Its to my main page.????

40. My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a number of websites for
    about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform.

I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

41. I love reading a post that can make men and women think.

Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

42. HI i was wondering if you could help, I’m trying to gain control of this wikipedia pulled page

and either merge it with this page

or delete it, but when i try and report it as a duplicate i get this message
    “Please enter the name of the original page to submit this report.”

even when inserting the correct URL into the report box. It’s driving me insane!
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Milton, first you cannot report a page as a duplicate of a page you administer. You’d have to get others to do it. (I just did it for you). The trick to reporting pages as a duplicate is to copy and paste the URL in when it asks for the name of the page it is a duplicate of. If you just start typing the name, it won’t work. Copying and pasting the URL works but ONLY IF you are not the page Admin. Has to be someone else. (Which is why it just worked for me and not you). Hope that helps. See if you can get a few friends to do it for you as well. Cheers.

43. So I have a question. I have a friend that is in a band and it has one of those Wikipedia fed pages. Is there a way for him to claim that page instead of making his own? The Wikipedia page has something like 22,500 fans already.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Hi Danielle, a Wiki page on FB is a Community Page. Community Pages are dedicated to a topic or experience that is owned collectively by the community connected to it. Just like Official Pages for businesses, organizations and public figures, Community Pages let you connect with others who share similar interests and experiences. Community page’s have no admins and are treated like shared knowledge around an idea, brand, topic….therefore they cannot be merged or claimed.

44. Carl Franzon says:

I am trying to figure out why several other softwares show multiple pages with the same name, but I only admin 1 and can only find 1.
    For example, I use WiseStamp which has a feature that allows you to show your latest post on FB page in your email signature. In the settings, there is a dropdown where you can select pages that you admin. In mine, it shows the following :
    The Covenant Church
    The Covenant Church of Cheboygan
    The Covenant Church of Cheboygan
    The Covenant Church of Cheboygan
    one of them I am able to select and use; the other two don’t work. I only have one page by that name, and can’t find any others on Facebook. (I did previously find one duplicate “place” and merged it). Just trying to figure out where these other ones are coming from I had the same thing in MailChimp where it offered me several pages, but I only have one (and only one of the offerings would work). Support from those two were not able to help, and thought I would try here.

• Tracy Sestili says:

Could be a glitch in their system or they could be Wiki pages or you could have a role such a content contributor but not necessarily admi. Rights. I’m thinking its not like Wiki pages. That’s my best guess.

• Carl Franzon says:

Thanks Tracy. The challenge has been that I can’t find any other pages on Facebook that have that name, whether I am contributor or not.

45. Hi Tracy,
    I am the admin of http://www.facebook.com/exxomodels (8000 likes) & http://www.facebook.com/missfemmerd (16.000 likes). We want to merge the larger account over to the lower likes account. We tried all your tricks/suggestions such as dublicate (option does not apprear on both of our FB accounts). We also tried the link on FB that was priviously given, https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=160167234097982 (page not found !) .
    I also tried your https://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate suggestion. However, the migrate link only let me merge my personal account !. There is no option to merge the other pages in any way, either via merger or dublicate.
    Your assistance is much appreciated . THANKS.

46. I want to merge the page http://www.facebook.com/B2BFinishingSchool with http://www.facebook.com/Aparna Balasundar.Please can you help

• Tracy Sestili says:

You cannot merge them because they do not have the same name. Please read the blog article.

47. i think we have still this problem………..Error
    An error has occurred while merging pages. This may be caused by your attempt to merge too many pages.”,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I merged 5pages and cant more……….is there some one who got a solution?

48. Hi Tracy,
    About a month ago I wrote you about merging my two Facebook Pages: Facebook.com/BrainAJVisagie and Facebook.com/BrianVisagie. I’ve checked your advice re: the voice.
    The problem I discovered is that my Facebook.com/BrainAJVisagie page does not show as my page. Therefore, the ‘merge pages’ option will not appear. Even so, the two pages are linked with the Facebook.com/BrianVisagie page being the only page that I can edit and post on to.
    I’ve tried in vain to get Facebook to fix my problem. The only response I had from Facebook is the numerous emails reading: “Hi, Thanks for taking the time to report this to us. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing an issue using Facebook. While we aren’t responding to every report, we may reach out to you for more information as we investigate this. To receive more information about on-going issues and updates when we fix reported problems, check out our Known Issues Page.”
    I’ve spent the last three weeks searching the Known Issues Page for a solution. But my issue is not dealt with in any of the Known Issues pages I searched. The process of searching the Known Issues Pages is extensively time consuming, and I simply do not have that much time. I’ve also set up a Place Page but that does not help as my Facebook.com/BrainAJVisagie does not show a page of mine.
    I resorted to deleting my page on the 19th October as I am dismayed at the complete waste of time I experience with Facebook trying to solve this issue. With my Facebook.com/BrianVisagie scheduled to be deleted in 7 days, I was hoping that maybe you have a suggestion on how I could resolve this matter?
    Regards,
    Brian Visagie

• Tracy Sestili says:

Brian, i’m sorry that you are still having a problem. But i’m confused on how you can delete a page that doesn’t show up as one of your pages? Something doesn’t seem right. I can understand why maybe you don’t have the merge option, but clearly FB thinks you are the owner because it let you mark the page for deletion. Did you have a personal account that was associated to the page that you previously deleted? Are both pages managed by the same personal account? Same email address? Sorry for all of the questions but the facts aren’t lining up for me. A piece if this puzzle has yet to be disclosed I feel.

• Hi Tracy
        You are correct, and so is Facebook, too. I am the owner of the page Facebook.com/BrianVisagie. And this is also the page that I have, on the 19th October, initiated to be deleted. It is my other page Facebook.com/BrianAJVisagie that does not show as my page. Yes, both these pages were initially to my personal account and were later converted to Fan Pages. Both pages had the same home, as well as email addresses, with the only difference being their usernames and URLs. Both pages were also managed by me until the admin panel stop showing on the Facebook.com/BrianAJVisagie page. Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this problem.
        Regards,
        Brian

49. raja babu says:

i have 2 pages with same name ………… but second page is hacked by some one……. can i able to merge that 2nd page (hacked page ) into my page………………… if any process please say me

50. Hi:
    I requested to merge two Facebook pages for the organization I work for, now they’re both GONE. Is this temporary? Has anybody else had this problem before? The request I submitted Monday night, yesterday afternoon got an email from FB saying the Merge was successfully conpleted but can’t find my pages! Please help! Does it take this long to the merge page to show back up and running again? Thanks

51. Hi Tracy,
    I’ve two pages, but unfortunately they don’t have the same name.
    and you can find a link on internet how to do it when you don’s have the same name but this one doesn’y work any more,

can you help me ?

have nice day
    Artento

• Tracy Sestili says:

Artento – can you copy and paste the URLs in for me & indicate which one you want to keep? Also, have you tried reporting the page as a duplicate of the other? Thx.

52. i have merge my page 5 times and i want to merge one more time but facebook show error whle merging what is the reason.i want to merge one more time.

53. Hi i merged my two duplicate pages last December 10
    http://www.facebook.com/MarianRiveraFanPage 1.540 Million Likes Before Merging
    http://www.facebook.com/MarianGraciaRivera 994 Thousand Likes Before Merging

After i merged it, the likes from the page with 1.5M likes was increasing by 50likes per second i think. but after 360K likes was added to that page, the merging of LIKES was stopped. So the total then was 1.9 Million…

So does it means 630K people liked both the pages? That is quite questionable… Also i read that when you merge fan pages, only one facebook username will remain and the other will be deleted..

But in my case, both usernames are still accessible and are being redirected to one page…

Do you think the merging process is not yet done? How many days will it last if that will be the case?

Trackbacks

1. [...] vs Name March 29, 2012 By Tracy Sestili Leave a Comment About a month or so ago I wrote a post on how to merge your Facebook Fan pages if you have more than one. I also included it with a bit more clarification in my free Facebook [...]

2. [...] Leave a Comment Oh how this has caused so many Page owners angst. In two previous posts on merging duplicate pages, I wrote steps on how to merge duplicate pages and what the difference between Name and Username [...]

3. [...] Tracy Sestili Leave a Comment Three of the most popular posts on this blog have to do with how to merge duplicate/multiple Fan pages on Facebook. For some people, it just won’t work because they don’t meet the criteria. [...]