Google+ just came out of beta and although it took off with a bang, it’s slow to get people to totally conform and abandon their other social networks. The slow conformity is mostly because people feel like since not all of their friends are on Google+, they need to post in multiple places. But as soon as Google+ releases it’s business platform in the upcoming weeks (Fall 2011), you can rest assure the social media war will have just begun. And if you tweet or post on behalf of your business or if you are a blogger, there are a few reasons why you need to pay attention to this and be on Google+ now, rather than later. For once, it’s a good thing to be an early adopter!
5 Reasons why you need to be on Google+ right now:
- Your +1’s will show up all in one place and they directly connected with you, the author.
- Your picture will show up in Google search which is great for personal branding, so again, make sure your picture is professional or a good one and not your cat.
- One word:SEO. Why? Because Google has the power to build in staying power of social relevancy of what you post and they will use it in the Google algorithm for organic search – you can bet on it.
- You can manage your Facebook and Twitter directly from Google+ with a Chrome Extension (and if we have to go into why you should use Chrome as your browser over FireFox, IE, or Safari let me know). Rana Shabaz gives a good tutorial on how to do this.
- Companies can put their customers/clients in a Circle and then start a Hangout to handle customer service issues or have private chat rooms on a topic.