These days, it’s all about marketing your personal brand and standing out from the crowd. So how do you do that when there are hundreds of other people doing the same thing that you are, have their hand out for the same cause as you do or are applying for the same job as you?
Easy! You know that old saying, you gotta walk the walk if you’re gonna talk the talk, the same is true here. But how you do it has been updated with social media.
- Update your title. Take your LinkedIn profile and update your Title to reflect what you want others to know you for, e.g. an expert in what. (don’t use expert, guru or maven).
- Get recommendations from people about your area of expertise. Use them as testimonials on your website or ask them to endorse you on LinkedIn. You can even use comments from your blog.
- Be helpful to others. Use LinkedIn Answers, participate in group discussions online
- Awards & certifications. Don’t be bashful! Post awards and certifications in your online profiles, on your website, even on your business card. Think outside the box.
- Thought Leadership. Utilize your online profiles or website to link to documents that you have written about your area of expertise. In can be as simple as a one pager in a pdf format that you link to online or as elaborate as whitepaper, press release, news article, etc.