If you are new to the blogosphere you might be disheartened that no one is reading your blog. It’s a given that you need to submit your blog to blog directories and you need to promote it on your social media outlets. However, there are a handful of other things that you can do to get started and take off.
- Enable social sharing buttons. Make it easy for readers to share your content.
- Enable an RSS feed. Make it easy for your readers to get your content in their Inbox.
- Guest Blog. I know, you have trouble coming up with your own content, let alone blog for someone else. But usually you can put a link into your blog in your bio.
- Use pingbacks/trackbacks. Link to other bloggers’ content and allow others to link to yours. Usually a blogger will provide a link back to your blog if they see you’ve linked to them.
- Comments/Forums. When you comment in online groups or discussion forums or even comment on a news article, leave your url in your signature. If you have something smart to say, people will start to click and see what else you have to say.
- Link back to your own content. Once you get a few blogs under your belt, don’t restate sentences from previous blogs – just link to them (notice how I did that in the opening paragraph).
- StumbleUpon/Delicious bookmarks. Some folks say that it’s narcissistic to link to your own content, but if you mix it in with other great things you find on the web, then it won’t seem like that. StumbleUpon makes this super easy with a click of a button.