You have an event that you need to promote. Your goals are simple: get people there, get sponsors, make sure people have a positive experience so they’ll spread the word about your event and come back next year.
In order to get people there, you need to advertise when it is and where your event is going to be and when you can, do it as cheaply as possible. And the cheapest way of course is to advertise online.
Here are 17+ places to submit your event free online.
- Active.com – For any type of sporting event or event listed on Active.com http://www.activeglobal.com/UIRedesignV2/PromoteYourEvent/
- Patch.com – Patch.com has a place for you to submit your event in your local city wherever there is a Patch paper.
- Metromix – For entertainment, food and wine, movies, festivals, concerts, art events, museums and attractions, and performing arts events only. http://www.metromix.com/pick_your_city
- ZEvents – All types of events. http://www.zvents.com/
- Eventful.com – All types of events. http://eventful.com/
- Eventbee.com – Requires you to sign up (free) and takes all types of events. http://www.eventbee.com/main/
- Events.org – All types of events. http://www.events.org/addevent.aspx
- TechVenue.com – Technology events. They have free and paid options. http://techvenue.com/Post.htm
- Cragistlist – All types of events for your city. http://craigslist.org
- Yahoo! – Submit all types of events. http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/
- VillageVoice – all types of events. http://www.villagevoice.com/feedback/SubmitAnEvent/
- Facebook – All types of events. https://www.facebook.com/events/list
- MySpace – All types of events. http://www.myspace.com/events
- Yelp.com – All event types. http://www.yelp.com/events
- AllConferences.com – For conferences only. http://www.allconferences.com/
- EventSetter.com – All types of events, all countries. http://www.eventsetter.com/
- DevTownStation – Conference types of events. http://devtownstation.com/
And don’t forget, always check your local city or state online event calendars.
Your local area:
Atlanta: AccessAtlanta.com – http://entertainment.accessatlanta.com/listings
Austin: All types of events. http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/EventSubmission
Austin: All types of events. http://austinsocialplanner.com/submit-an-event/
Boston: Boston.com – http://calendar.boston.com/listings
Chicago: Local calendars- http://communitymediaworkshop.org/2010/01/submit-to-community-calendars/
Cincinnatti: All public events. http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/About/submitevent.asp
Dallas: VisitDallas.com – http://www.visitdallas.com/events/submit-event/
New Jersey: All public events. http://www.nj.com/myevent/
New York. All types of events. http://events.nydailynews.com/listings
New York. All types of events. http://www.nytimes.com/ref/automobiles/submit_an_event.html
Philadelphia: UpcomingEvents.com – http://www.upcomingevents.com/philadelphia/submitevent/
Rhode Island: All types of events. http://www.goprovidence.com/things-to-do/calendar-of-events/submit-an-event/
Seattle: SeattleTimes.com – http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/SubmitEvent.pl?s=st
San Francisco: (Fun or free events only) – http://sf.funcheap.com/
Silicon Valley/San Jose: Mercury News – http://events.mercurynews.com//
Silicon Valley: LiveSV – http://www.livesv.com/page/submit_event/?gclid=CKXRs8LVqLYCFQzhQgod_zQA-g
Virginia: HamptonRoads.com – http://hamptonroads.com/events
Know of any other places to submit your event for free? Please share in the comments and we’ll create a comprehensive list for event marketers.