Assignment 1 of 2: Create a social media strategy for your company or for any small local business in San Francisco. You must use at least 3 social media platforms and include the following:
- What’s your 30 second pitch for your business?
- Who are your executive sponsors at your company (executive buy-in)?
- What’s your quarterly budget?
- Who is your audience and how did you determine that? Be sure to include age, demographics, what social media platforms they use, when they are online, etc. Anything to help understand their behavior and needs so that you can engage and build a relationship with them.
- Is your relationship with your target audience new? Is it an existing audience that you need to nurture? Or is it an existing audience where you need to improve your relationship?
- What is the purpose or goal for being on social media for each audience you defined above?
— What do you want to achieve with your audience?
— What call-to-action do you want them to do as a result of interacting and engaging with your brand?
— What need are you solving for them?
— Does your goal align to a broader business plan, goal or objective?
- How will you measure (which metrics) the success of your strategy and how often?
- Which two (or more) platforms will you use and why did you choose them?
- What frequency will you post?
- What will the tone be of your social media activity? Fun and flirty? Serious and professional? Professional and courteous?
- How will you engage with your audience?
- How will you integrate your social media activities into other marketing tactics such as email, press releases, events, etc?
- Do you have the resources to implement this strategy? Have roles been defined? Do you have a budget to implement and execute?
Final Assignment Examples:
Assignment 2 of 2: Create a social media campaign complete with goals, how it will work, target audience, social networks, budget, measurements for success. Some of the decks above have examples of campaigns within them.
- B2B Social Media campaigns 2014
- 10 Best Social Media Campaigns May 2015
- Social Media campaign case studies
- Tieks FunnyBunny campaign
- Session 1, Oct 13: PDF
- Session 2, Oct 20: PDF
- Session 3, Oct 27: PDF
- Session 4, Nov 3: PDF
- Session, 5 Nov 10 :PDF and Social Strategy Exercise
- Session 6, Nov 17: Mid-term — online, bring a laptop – Nov 17
NO CLASS NOVEMBER 24th – Thanksgiving
- Session 7, Dec 1: PDF
- Session 8, Dec 8: PDF
- Session 9, Dec 15th: Social Strategy presentations due Dec 12 – email me your presentation to email@example.com
- Session 10, Dec 22th: Social Campaign presentations due Dec 19 – email me your presentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
I will select a handful of people to present their social media strategies and campaigns, so be prepared to present.
- Is attendance mandatory? Well you can’t participate and discuss if you are not here, so yes.
- How can I make up a class? Life happens, if you miss a class (with the exception fo the mid-term), you can read the notes posted here.
- What happens if I miss class when the mid-term is given? You will need to take it on the designated makeup day which is designated by the instructor. No exceptions.
- What happens if I miss the days that final presentations are due? You will be dinged for discussion & participation.
- What happens if I miss the deadline for the final two presentations? You will have 5 pts deducted for every day it’s late.
- What happens if I submit a homework late? Points for homework may be deducted. It’s up to the discretion of the instructor if points will be deducted or not. You cannot make up the points.
- Is there any sort of extra credit? No.
- What if I have an illness or disability that requires me to have more time to take an exam? Fill out the proper paperwork and submit it.
- What if I havea question that is not on this list? Email the instructor.
I reserve the right to change the syllabus at any given time, but here is a brief outline of what we’ll cover during each session. I may modify the homework, class exercises or shift the content around. It’s your responsibility to make up the work.